Allergens & Allergies
What I think
That I know of, I am not allergic to anything in particular. However, many people do suffer from allergies, ranging from minor irritation to risk of death. I take allergens and allergies very seriously.
The size of the bakery operation and its nature means that I cannot guarantee that the breads are free from certain allergens. For example, a coeliac cannot tolerate any gluten contamination whatsoever; I don't have the facilities to bake bread that can be guaranteed gluten free. I therefore cannot and do not bake gluten free bread.
However, I do work with customers and undertake considerable research to minimise any allergens and the risk of allergic reaction to my breads and their ingredients. This is one of the reasons I prefer not to use commercial yeast; even the Organic, additive free yeast that I have available to me. I have customers who have been diagnosed allergic to or intolerant of yeast (but not sourdough natural yeasts), lactose and wheat, and also who suffer from diabetes.
Allergies and allergens is also another reason, for me, to use certified organic ingredients. I am concerned about the effects of GM, pesticides and chemicals that enter our food chain. I am also concerned about the many and various additives that are used in processed food. Not just colouring and flavouring, oils and emulsifiers, but the complex chemical substances that are added to ease manufacture and maintain an outward appearance of quality and consistency, as well as an unrealistic transport/shelf life.
Note the relatively recent addition of Sulphur Dioxide to the list below.
If you have any doubts or questions please ask me. In any event please also consult a qualified medical adviser if you are unsure about your medical condition, risks or requirements.
There are fourteen (14) major food allergens as currently defined by UK and EU legislation. Under UK and EU legisalation (EU Food Information for Consumers Regulation (No. 1169/2011) (EU FIC) and Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) No. 78/2014 amending Annex II of 1169/2011) all packaged foods should label any ingredients that are or may contain any of these allergens.
The 14 Annex II allergens are:
1. Cereals containing gluten namely wheat (such as spelt and Khorasan wheat) , rye, barley, oats and their hybridised strains and products thereof, except:
a) wheat based glucose syrups including dextrose
b) wheat based maltodextrins
c) glucose syrups based on barley
d) cereals used for making alcoholic distillates including ethyl alcohol of agricultural origin
2. Crustaceans and products thereof (for example prawns, lobster, crabs and crayfish)
3. Egg and products thereof
4. Fish and products thereof, except :
a) fish gelatine used as carrier for vitamin or carotenoid preparations
b) fish gelatine or Isinglass used as a fining agent in beer and wine
5. Peanut s and products thereof
6. Soybeans and products thereof, except :
a) fully refined soybean oil and fat
b) natural mixed toco pherols (E306), natural D - alpha tocopherol s, natural D - alpha tocopherol acetate and natural D - alpha tocopherol succinate from soybean sources
c) vegetable oils derived phytosterols and phytosterol esters from soybean sources
d) plant stanol ester produced from vegetable oil sterols from soybean sources
7. Milk and products thereof (including lactose), except :
a) whey used for making alcoholic distillates including ethyl alcohol of agricultural origin b) lactitol
8. Nuts ( namely almond, hazelnut, walnut, cashew, pecan nut, Brazil nut, pistachio nut and Macadamia nut (Queensland nut)) and products thereof except for nuts used for making alcoholic distillates including ethyl alcohol of agricultural origin
9. Celery and products thereof
10. Mustard and products thereof
11. Sesame seeds and products thereof
12. Sulphur dioxide and / or sulphites at concentrations of more than 10mg/kg or 10m g /L (litre) in terms of the total SO 2 which are to be 13 calculated for products as proposed ready for consumption or as reconstituted according to the instructions of the manufacturers
13. Lupin and products thereof
14. Molluscs and products thereof (for example mussels, clams, oysters, scallops, snails and squid)